Love this comment: "McCain may not be Bush, but Palin sure seems to be. No accountability, no answering questions, no acceptance that the media even has a role in honest society. In fact, no acceptance that truth or honesty have any merit whatsoever."
When Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) introduced Gov. Sarah Palin as his running mate, he trumpeted her husband’s union membership: “The person I’m about to introduce to you was a union member and is married to a union member, and understands the problems, the hopes and the values of working people,” he said. That day, and again last night, Palin also emphasized that her husband is “a proud member of the United Steelworkers Union.”
Conservatives are hoping the reference will play well in Michigan and Ohio. But the United Steelworkers union (USW) isn’t so pleased. USW President Leo Gerard noted that just because Todd Palin is a union member doesn’t mean that Palin is automatically qualified to represent labor interests:
It is important to realize that while the governor’s husband is a member of a union, this does not automatically qualify her for an on-the-job training program to become a heartbeat away from the presidency. And while her husband is one of 850,000 dues-paying members of the steelworkers union, it does nothing to absolve Sen. McCain of his long history of anti-union sentiment and anti-worker actions.
In fact, McCain’s hostility to unions and union priorities runs deep:
– McCain voted to block the Employee Free Choice Act, making it easier for workers to unionize. [6/26/07]
– McCain condemned unions as “serious excesses” and said government workers are “crippled” by union contracts. [10/9/07; 5/21/07]
– McCain voted to filibuster a minimum wage hike last year. [1/24/07]
– McCain voted against a bill protecting discrimination against workers who go on strike, effectively allowing companies to hire permanent replacements for striking workers. [S. 55, 7/13/94]
– McCain voted against an amendment providing more effective remedies to victims of gender discrimination in the payment of wages. [7/17/07]
Last night, Gerard demanded that Palin “stop using USW as a prop.” Noting McCain’s opposition to the top priorities on USW’s agenda, Gerard asked Palin:
Are you with McCain – and against workers – on these issues? If so, you need to stop using your husband’s membership in the USW as a prop, because then his union card cannot possibly cover up your or John McCain’s worker-savaging positions.
- ► 2010 (19)
- ► 2009 (25)
- A Foxy Announcement
- Bush "The financial structures are interlinked."
- GOP Voter Caging Begins
- McCain Leaves GM Plant To Chants Of Obama 08
- Detective Moses: Episode 1
- Sarah Palin's Bridge to somewhere, our hearts.
- Wolves demand contract negotiation
- PALIN WATCH! WOW!
- 5 Stars. Perfect. Couldn't have said it better m...
- TPMtv: Bridge of Lies
- Robbery First: the shotgun approach.
- Palin raises millions for Obama
- Why the media should apologize
- Palin Does Not Understand True Importance of Commu...
- Steelworkers President To Palin: ‘Stop Using Your ...
- Hypocricy First
- Palin's speech riddled with lies. Sound familiar?...
- RNC Convention Schedule
- The real RNC convention (2005)
- Thanks W!
- ▼ September (20)